What are No-Prep Dental Veneers? | Lakewood OH
If you’re looking to improve your smile, your cosmetic dentist may recommend that you place thin coverings over the visible surface (front part) of the tooth to conceal any damage. These coverings are known as no-prep dental veneers, and are fabricated from tooth-colored materials for aesthetic reasons.
Dental veneers can be used to correct different cosmetic dental problems, including:
- Worn or chipped teeth
- Discolored teeth that won’t respond to bleaching
- Misshapen or crooked teeth
- Uneven gaps or spaces between your front teeth
Veneers are typically made from porcelain material, which requires intensive tooth preparation by removing some of the tooth enamel to create room to attach the veneer. This method is used because porcelain veneers measure about 0.5 mm in thickness. Grinding down the tooth helps to maintain its natural size.
No-Prep Dental Veneers
Lumineers, Vivaneers, and composite resin veneers that are thinner at 0.3 mm don’t require any tooth preparation before placement. These no-prep veneers are less invasive to apply and take less time, which makes them a popular choice for correcting minor aesthetic defects.
No-preparation veneers offer several advantages over traditional porcelain veneers, including:
- Easier to place since no tooth preparation is needed
- Don’t require fabrication in a dental lab, which makes them cheaper
- Can be used if you have thin tooth enamel to prevent the risk of tooth sensitivity
- Maintain the natural tooth structure for greater strength of restored teeth
- Placed in a single appointment
However, you’re limited to the amount of layers you can add to reduce the risk of creating a thicker tooth that may create hard to clean spots along the gumline, putting you at risk of gum disease. Traditional veneers are easier to smooth for a better fit and optimal oral hygiene. Your dentist will examine your teeth and thickness of tooth enamel in order to decide the best material for your veneers. Lumineers may be appropriate.
Please visit your cosmetic dentist in Lakewood OH to discuss ways to improve your smile with dental veneers.