Benefits of Orthodontics in Lakewood OH
Orthodontics is intended to improve both the function of your teeth and the aesthetics of your smile by considering your profile, bone structure, face, and muscular function, and balancing these elements precisely using advanced technologies. Successful treatment can transform your smile to boost your confidence and self-esteem while giving you an efficient bite and healthy teeth.
The benefits of orthodontics include:
- Reduction of uneven wear of tooth enamel caused by unbalanced forces on the teeth
- A great smile that improves your appearance. This results in greater confidence and improved self-esteem
- Straight teeth that are easier to clean. This translates in healthier teeth and gums, resulting in reduced risk of gum disease and tooth decay.
- Correction of jaw and joint problems. Misalignment can strain the jaw joints, resulting in TMJ disorder. Temporomandibular jaw disorders (TMD) make it difficult to open and close the mouth, sometimes causing clicking and popping in the jaw, facial pain, and chronic headaches.
- To hold or create space to replace missing teeth, preventing adjacent teeth from shifting. Your orthodontist can also work with your general dentist or specialist to install dentures, implants, or bridgework to give you the best result.
- To reduce bruxism. Malocclusion can strain your jaws, causing you to grind your teeth or clench the jaws (bruxism). Over time, the increased pressure can damage your teeth and jaws. Straightening your teeth can reduce the risk of bruxism.
Orthodontics is beneficial to all people irrespective of your age. That said, the ideal orthodontic result is not simply a product of fitting your mouth with braces or aligners. It requires the patient to be proactive in their treatment by following the routine guidance and advice of your orthodontist throughout your treatment.
The more interest, enthusiasm, and dedication you show towards your orthodontic treatment, the sooner it will be complete with better results. It’s important that you visit your dentist in Lakewood, OH regularly, keep your braces or aligners clean and safe, and avoid hard and sticky foods that can interfere with a successful outcome.