A veneer refers to a thin shell that is bonded to the visible (front) part of a tooth for aesthetic purposes. Dental veneers are a popular cosmetic treatment for several reasons, including:
- Natural-looking results for cosmetic problems
Can be used to correct multiple aesthetic concerns with a fairly simple procedure. Your dentist may recommend dental veneers:
- To cover severely discolored, slightly crooked, or poorly shaped upper front teeth
- To improve the color of the front teeth that have become yellow over time, or have a gray tint, and cannot be tuned white by bleaching
- To correct worn or chipped teeth
- To fix uneven spaces between teeth, including a diastema
Dental veneers are bonded to the front surface, and sometimes the side surfaces of teeth to improve their appearance and replicate the natural look of healthy teeth.
- No special maintenance needed
With veneers, there is no special maintenance required beyond good daily oral hygiene. Make sure that you only purchase oral hygiene products that show the Seal of Acceptance for the American Dental Association. Regular dental checkups are also a must for maintaining a healthy mouth.
- Strong and durable
Porcelain veneers are as strong and resilient as natural tooth enamel. Their high compressive strength (a measure of hardness) and low tensile strength (a measure of flexibility without fracture) is similar to that of glass. This means that porcelain veneers are hard enough to resist breakage, but are prone to fracture if forced to bend, like when biting something hard. That said, once the veneers are bonded to your tooth, they are highly resistant to flexion, which makes them durable and long-lasting.
Porcelain veneers can be made to mimic the reflective properties of natural teeth, giving you an amazing, natural-looking smile transformation. Consult your dentist in Lakewood, OH today to determine if you’re a good fit.